Factory No.1, Bristol

COMING SOON

Introduction

Known as Wills Factory No.1, the factory opened in 1886 and covered approximately 1.75 acres and included the street frontage that, today, forms Consort House. The factory continued to expand throughout the 19th and early 20th century and, in 1908, following the amalgamation of Wills with 12 other British tobacco manufacturers, Regent House was constructed as the headquarters of the resulting Imperial Tobacco Company.

City & Country will be creating a range of 1,2 and 3 bedroom apartments. With both the unique conversion in the historic buildings and the stylish new build, there will be a home to satisfy all tastes at Factory No.1. The focal point for the development is the urban oasis that is being created with stepped gardens of elegant shrubbery and planting.

Please register your interest to receive Sales & Marketing information in as it becomes available. We are hoping to launch this exciting development in 2018.

Looking for a home in Bristol? Take a look at The General CLICK HERE

History


Prior to the construction of the Wills Tobacco Factory, the site was occupied first by the medieval St Catherine’s Hospital that was founded in the thirteenth century and, later, by a Tannery that was demolished to make way for the Tobacco Factory. Known as Wills Factory No. 1, the factory opened in 1886 and covered approximately 1.75 acres and included the street frontage that, today, forms Consort House.

 The factory continued to expand throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and, in 1908, following the amalgamation of Wills with 12 other British tobacco manufacturers, Regent House was constructed as the headquarters of the resulting Imperial Tobacco Company. Tobacco products continued to be manufactured at Factory No. 1 until the late 1970s when both production and Imperial Tobacco’s headquarters were transferred to the Lakeshore building in Hartcliffe

W.D. and H.O. Wills was founded in 1786, and their first shop was located in Castle Street in the centre of Bristol. Factory No.1 was built between 1884 and 1886 by Sir Frank Wills, utilising red Cattybrook brick, limestone and slate and continues to be one of Bedminster’s most recognisable landmarks. Initially, the factory was constructed fronting onto Bedminster Parade, bounded to the west by the rear of properties fronting onto Lombard Street, to the north by Brook Street, and to the east by a timber yard. 

By the turn of the 20th century the housing along Brook Street has been demolished and the factory has expanded to the north and northeast. The Wills Tobacco Factory closed in 1988 and the buildings were largely demolished, retaining the Grade II Listed facades fronting onto Bedminster Parade and Lombard Street, the internal structures replaced by modern offices.