1877 The Old Portsmouth Gaol
Coming Soon - Register Now!
expect the unexpected
1877 The Old Portsmouth Gaol is the exciting conversion and restoration of the former Grade II listed Kingston Prison in Portsmouth. Designed by RIBA Stirling Prize winners, Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios, it is set to become one of the most interesting and sought after collections of new homes in the city.
Ranging from one bedroom apartments up to larger three bedroom residences, house hunters have the choice of the unique conversion properties or stylish and contemporary new build apartments.
Landscaping will be extensive and create areas of orchard and formal gardens for residents to relax in without worrying about time consuming maintenance.
Register your interest now to receive further information as it becomes available.
The Old Portsmouth Gaol, Milton Road , Portsmouth , PO3 6AS
Get driving directions
When the transportation of convicts to Australia and the colonies ended in the 1850s the need for domestic prison accommodation greatly increased. Progressive prison reform during the 19th Century saw an improvement in the conditions and facilities of prisons across England. The construction of Kingston prison was part of this widespread development in moving from houses of correction to the newly improved style of prisons.
The new prison was designed by local architect George Rake and was constructed between 1874 and 1877. It was the last of nineteen ‘Pentonville’ radial prisons to be constructed. The radial prison design consisted of an octagonal central hall with five wings leading from this central point.
During the Second World War the prison was used as a Naval Detention Quarters and police station but was bombed in 1941, suffering damage to the western wall. Shortly after the war, the prison was closed for a few years before reopening in 1949 and operating until 1969 when it was converted from a borstal facility to a Category B training prison. During this time several additions were made to the building including the present kitchens, chapel, library and refectory.
Between 1968 and the closure of the prison in 2013 major alterations were made to the building including the addition of a new boiler house and chapel.